Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hey nonny, nonny

One time when I was a sophomore, I attended an on-campus literary arts festival.  One of the activities was a "fill in the blanks" quiz for famous quotes.  I was feeling jauntily confident and took a step up.  The line was read to me:  "There's __________________, that's for remembrance...  The only clue given was "herbs."  I thought quickly and pronounced: "There's thyme for remembrance! Thyme!  Thyme!"  How clever I was, half intuiting that Shakespeare would have punned on the homophone, as I would have, had I written Hamlet. 

The reader smiled at me and said no, it's rosemary.  A lot of English Majors had gotten that one right.  Was I an English Major? 
I forget my response.  But I did spend the rest of the afternoon berating myself for not having brushed up on my Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment